Description & Characteristics
Independent of the regular military forces, the ESF Forces, the A-Laws answers only to the government. Their mission is to further unify nations, but their ideals and tactics are a facade of oppression, causing destruction to any nation or group that doesn't submit to the ESF. They slaughter innocents in large numbers without warning, place anyone suspected of being affiliated with resistance cells in prison or on high gravity blocks for slave labor. Also, they misuse GN Particles to destroy the economy of the Middle East, but the disadvantage of this is that they can't locate bases of antigovernmental group, such as Katharon. They go as far as firing the superweapon Memento Mori on an entire city. Granted special powers by the Federation government, the A-Laws have near total authority over all of the ESF Forces' operations. This enables them to reprimand ESF Forces' officers, regardless of rank. Also, there are officers who are licensed and these licensors can do whatever they please.
Besides operating the same GNX-609T GN-XIII as the ESF Forces, albeit in a different color scheme and with customized tuning, the A-Laws also has the exclusive GNX-704T Ahead, which was usually reserved for the group's commanders, team leaders, officers of at least First Lieutenant, and several elite pilots like Mr. Bushido. It is always the Ahead that led the group's combat teams, in the absence of the licensors and their more advanced mobile suits. For specified missions, A-Laws also operated the GNMA-04B11 Trilobite for underwater operations and the GNX-612T/AA Superbia GN-X for amphibious assault operations. When the A-Laws later gained control of the ESF Forces, the number of their mobile suits increased to about 100 Aheads, about 1000 GN-XIIIs and numerous other older mobile suits.
Known A-Laws members
- Commander In Chief Homer Katagiri - Relieved of duty. Committed suicide after the A-Laws' defeat (Deceased)
- Brigadier General Arthur Goodman - Charged with anti-Kataron operations. Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Colonel Kati Mannequin - Defected to take charge of ESF Coup D'état Faction in A.D. 2312. Returned to ESF Army after the A-Laws' disbandment
- Lieutenant Colonel Barack Zinin - Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Lieutenant Colonel Lee Zhejiang - Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Mr. Bushido - Licensed Officer. Returned to ESF Army after the A-Laws' disbandment
- Major Aber Rindt - A specialist in "mopping-up operations". Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Technical Captain Billy Katagiri - Chief Mobile Suit Designer. Returned to ESF Army after the A-Laws' disbandment
- Captain Bring Stability - Licensed Officer. Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Captain Devine Nova - Licensed Officer. Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Captain Hiling Care - Licensed Officer. Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Captain Revive Revival - Licensed Officer. Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- Captain Anew Returner - Licensed Officer. Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- First Lieutenant Araga - Killed in battle against Celestial Being (Deceased)
- First Lieutenant Andrei Smirnov - Superior to Louise Halevy. Returned to ESF Army after the A-Laws' disbandment
- First Lieutenant Soma Peries - Defected to Celestial Being in A.D. 2312
- Second Lieutenant Patrick Colasour - Defected to ESF Coup D'état Faction in A.D. 2312. Returned to ESF Army after the A-Laws' disbandment
- Warrant Officer Louise Halevy - Resigned due to medical reasons.
The A-Laws committed at least fourteen subjugations, all in the name of a "unified" world, that was kept secret from the general public by Veda. However, the return of Celestial Being spurred a global battle against A-Laws. All the while, the more battles that commence, the more political power the government of the Federation grants them. Eventually, the A-Laws grabbed so much public support that the Federation grants them control over the regular army. However, Commander Katagiri had to request assistance from the Innovators in order to defeat Celestial Being, signing them up as "licensors" like Revive Revival, Hilling Care, Bring Stabity, and Devine Nova.
Fed up with the Innovators' secret activities and their inability to destroy Celestial Being, Brigadier General Arthur Goodman led all of the A-Laws' remaining Baikal-Class battleships into a final battle with the goal to eradicate Celestial Being with overwhelming force. Unfortunately, he was killed by the combined efforts of Celestial Being, Katharon and the ESF Coup D'état Faction, leaving his fleet in disarray. The majority of the A-Laws fleet was later destroyed by a massive particle beam fired from the Innovators' flagship, the Celestial Being.
After the A-Law' atrocities were exposed with help from Veda, a newly elected Federation president disbands the A-Laws. When Setsuna F. Seiei was testing the GN-0000GNHW/7SG 00 Gundam Seven Sword/G, a repaired 00 Gundam, he unexpectedly encountered an A-Laws' GN-XIII. This indicates that some remnants of A-Laws units had refused to disband. Two years after the A-Laws' defeat, they are depicted as villains desiring world domination, led by Alejandro Corner, in a movie titled Celestial Being. Their actions also had an impact on the new Federation government who chose to refrain from military action of any sort and adopts a pacifist policy - even when it may be needed e.g. the Federation refrained from sending any forces after the Colony Public Corporation had attempted to kill Marina Ismail.
Notes & Trivia
- The name A-Laws can be interpreted as All Laws.
- The A-Laws bear a strong resemblance to the Titans in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, and the conflict between them, Katharon, Celestial Being, and eventually the ESF can be compared to the Gryps War.
- Interesting note is that despite the conflict between Celestial Being/Katharon and A-Laws being compared to the Gryps Conflict, it is also compared to that of Black Knights and Britannia from Code Geass: Lelouch Of The Rebellion, another mecha anime produced by Sunrise which aired at the same time that Mobile Suit Gundam 00 aired.